Sunday, February 13, 2011

Phu Quoc Paradise

After two nights in Ho Chi Minh, I had had enough of the big city life! So I booked a flight to the island of Phu Quoc which is west of vietnam and just south of Cambodia. It is considered an Island of vietnam, even though I think its closer to Cambodia. When I got to the airport, they took us by bus to a little plane with propeller engines! Eeeeeeek! Im not a bad flyer, not great, but seeing this plane worried me! I sat next to a Canadian guy who chatted to me the whole way to try keep my mind off the flight. I think he could tell I was a little scared :P Luckily the flight was only for 55 minutes! Easy money!
I arrived at the airport expecting to just jump straight in a taxi. not the case! Unlike everywhere else in asia where everyone fights for your attention and $$$ there was only 1 taxi! and like 30 people! So we waited around for about 20 minutes till one came. Some sweedish girls were nice enough to offer for me to jump in a taxi with them.

The place I am staying at is right on the beach, its called the Moon Resort. Its far from a resort though ;) But for $20 a night, Im happy :)
Straight away I went down to the beach where I found a cute little bar and lots of chairs for us to lounge around on in the sun. I spent my afternoon sunbaking :)
On my first night, I made some friends :) Yipppeee! Two very lovely french boys, Pierre Antoine and Gael. They invited me to go to the night market with them for dinner. We ended up going to the market together for dinner on thursday friday and saturday night. They could speak in English fairly well. But they loved the fact that they were learning more from me. They laughed when I taught them Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi! Sometimes we would have a conversation and we were just staring at each other blanky because we really didnt know what each other was saying. But most of the time it was all good :) It was really nice to have some people to hang out with at night. Because its hard for me to go anywhere at night on my own.

Phu Quoc was exactly what I needed, its paradise here! At the moment I am just lying back in a sun chair updating my blog :) I have free wifi here because of the bar behind me. I can go and order a yummy cocktail if I want, or a freshly squeezed watermelon juice and drink it on the beach :) There are ladies that come around carrying fruit that they cut up in front of you. On my second day here while I was lazing around soaking up the sun, a lady came up and offered to pluck my legs with some thread. I thought why not! About an hour later and some slight pain :P I have hair free legs! LOL
Yesterday I treated myself to an hour massage and manicure on the beach :) cost me a whole $6 for the both. Sweeeeeet! Today Im going back for a massage and pedicure :)
The water is beautifully warm, however it is slightly cloudy today, the sun comes and goes, but it is still very warm. About 30C.
I really am in paradise here, but I really do miss home. I miss Andy like crazy, and I think that Im at that time where its been too long apart and not close enough till I see him. It hasn't been easy at all. But I think from here each day will get a little bit easier! I hope so at least.

The island is very quiet, the people are very lovely. And there is just a sense of peace here. When I walk down the street, people just want to say hello! They don't want something out of me which is nice!!

Im here on Phu Quoc until tuesday afternoon. It was longer than I had thought I would stay, but all the flights back to Ho Chi Minh were sold out till then! So I had to ask to stay a little longer at this place, which meant I had to move rooms. The rooms are not fantastic. Its not a luxury resort by any means. It's very similar to a place I stayed at in langkawi, so its not an unknown experience for me to have uncomfortable beds, cold showers and just a sense of ickyness in the room! LOL But my first room had AC. This one just fans, and a mosquito net and the bathroom smelllls ewwww! LOL

My frenchie friends left for Cambodia thismorning. They are off on a 15 epic journey to the temples in Siem Reap (which I will do in April) Yesterday they went on a snorkling trip to some islands in the south, I plan to go on this tommorow (must go book tickets!) Unfortunately, after only about half an hour of snorkling, a man was found dead floating in the water. He was from the UK and in his 50's. He was travelling alone. They were not sure if he had swallowed water and drowned or perhaps had a heart attack or something. They spent the rest of the day at the police station giving details on what they knew. It was such a horrible experience for them, I'm so glad I didn't go yesterday. I feel so sorry for the man's family and friends back home :(
That brings me onto some other sad news I received yesterday. Penny, a beautiful lady who I occasionally have worked with at David Jones, died on Friday. She worked in the Jewellery and Sunglasses area, which falls under the same manager with shoes. We are all a big family at David Jones, and it is so sad to hear of the passing of Penny. She will be greatly missed by all. All my love to her family and friends and to all my friends at David Jones, I'm sending you big hugs. Esp to Prue and Deloros and the rest of the ladies in Jewellery, please pass on a big hug to them for me if anyone from DJs is reading. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

Anyways back to a more positive note!! The sun is shining and I have had to move to the bar because my laptop battery was dying :( so im going back to the beach for a dip and improve on my tan! I'm already pretty bronzed ;) You've got some competition Wendy!!! LOL

Photos later... I promise!! Tee Hee
tiếng chào nhau!!!
(Goodbye!)

1 comment:

  1. Thats awful about the man, hopfully nothing awful like that happens when you go! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete